Hey guys! For this week, we are really excited to share with you our So Choix makeup boxes that we’ve just received. So Choix is a designer makeup sample subscription box, everything is within your choosing. So you’re able to choose how many months you want and whatever you want in your own personal box of sample makeup goodies.
We thought this was a really cool idea when we first heard of it. So, rather than going to your typical makeup counter, the makeup samples that you’ve picked out are sent to you, which is very convenient. Both of us really like that you don’t need to commit to buying a certain product when you haven’t really tested it out yet. We’ve both experienced that buyers remorse when a product really does suck and you need to go back to the store and return it.
Chloe here! So here are the things I got in my So Choix makeup box.
- Chanel Lipstick – La Rafinee – When I first saw this lipstick online, it looked like a very pink coral, but when I received my samples it turned out to be a very mauve pink, so I added a bit of an orangey lipstick to achieve the color that I really wanted. So one thing about ordering online is having to worry about the coloration because the lighting when taking photos make a huge different. After trying this lipstick out, I definitely do like it because it doesn’t leave that greasy feeling that most lipsticks leave, it was also very moisturizing. However, it is not long-lasting, so reapplication is needed throughout the day.
- Benefit Eyelid Primer – This primer sure did its trick. I’ve never really used primer on a daily basis, so this was something new for me. I usually use eye shadow sticks and these always smear or come off very easily. After using this primer, I would say that my eye shadow stayed on longer than usual. I am definitely going to be looking into more primers in the future.
- Dolce Gabanna Perfect Matte Foundation – Sadly, I wasn’t able to use this foundation because it was waaaay too dark for me. I got the shade Rose Beige which I thought would fit my skin tone since I usually use beige tones. Since I don’t want this foundation to go to waste I will probably try to mix the D&G foundation with one of my lighter foundations, so hopefully this will work out. Maybe for finding a new foundation, it’s a must to visit a makeup counter, because it’s hard to find the right shade.
- Smashbox Photo Op Under Eye Brightener – a bit disappointed with this under eye brightener from Smashbox, on a day that my dark circles were clearly showing, this didn’t really do the trick. It was a bit too sheer and didn’t conceal much. Good this I was able to sample this out before I actually did end up buying it.
- Hourglass Lighting Bronzer – I’ve never heard of this brand before, so I decided that I had to try it out. You should always try to keep an open mind because you never know it could be good. I ended up really liking this bronzer very much because of it’s coloring, it was a beautiful swirl of dark and light metallic browns. This bronzer did the trick, it stayed on my face for the whole day and is perfect for the summer.
Overall, I really liked this box, the packaging was really cute and I like the idea of samples coming to you. I don’t know how you all feel about visiting makeup stores, but I really dread it. I hate having a sales rep following you around and asking you all types of different questions. So having, the simplicity of testing out these products for a whole week and seeing how they feel throughout the day is a huge plus for me.
Hey!!! It’s Cindy <3 I chose these items for my SoChoix box:
- Benefit ‘Bad Gal’ Waterproof Eyeliner (Black) – I heard a lot of good reviews about Benefit’s eye products. Honestly, this was my first time using a high end eye product. My drugstore eyeliners would sometimes smear, or just disappear by the end of the day. This Benefit eyeliner clung onto my waterline the WHOLE day. I was very impressed in how much stayed on by the end of the day.
- Chanel Rouge Coco (402 Adrienne) – This was the lip product I used in this picture. I have to say I was a bit disappointed by this lipstick. It applied like a butter, so it wasn’t very pigmented and I could see the lines of my brush while I was applying. However, the color is a nice appropriate tone for office or casual wear.
- D&G Dolce Matte Lipstick (Dolce Rosa 222) – I was happy with the matte-ness of D&G’s lipstick. It did not over dry my lips but it wasn’t too moisturizing either. It was just abouttt right. I don’t think I would invest buying this line from D&G.
- D&G Perfect Matte Liquid Foundation (Natural Beige 120) – This foundation worked very well mattifying my combination oily face. By the end of the day, I only had to blot my face a few times. The con was that it did not really smooth my face out. You can see rough areas on my face. 🙁
- YSL ‘Rouge Volupte’ Radiant Lipstick (Opera Rose) – This lipstick was also a bit sheer just as Chanel’s, but a bit more pigmented. I loved this color and I hope to one day purchase it.
I have always used drugstore products and have been happy with them so I never bothered investing in higher end products. Not to say the drugstore products were perfect, but they did their job. Sometimes I would think I need a better item, then I would research in higher end products. But I don’t rely on reviews solely, I would like to test it out myself. Sure you can go in a store and test it, but you’re only testing the application and the color. So Choix gives you the chance to test out a product for a few days to get the feel of it, how it looks on you, how the application is, and how the product works on your body type. This is the best type of review you can give out yourself.
We hope our review of the So Choix box was informative and insightful. If you have any questions or comments, don’t be afraid to leave them in the comments section below. We respond to every comment that you leave :). Make sure to check out our other reviews, posts, and other social media through our sidebar on the right.
Love you all 🙂 Makeup day is everrrryyyday.
See you all soon!